Christian Atsu’s body was found after a big earthquake in Turkey, local media reported Saturday, citing his manager. Atsu used to play for Ghana.
Atsu, who is 31 years old, was caught up in the 7.8-magnitude earthquake that hit Turkey and Syria on February 6, killing more than 43,000 people in both countries. At first, it was said that he had been saved a day after the earthquake, but this was not true.
Murat Uzunmehmet, his manager in Turkey, told the DHA news agency on Saturday that his body had been found under the rubble in the southern Turkish province of Hatay.
Uzunmehmet told DHA –
“We have reached his lifeless body. His belongings are still being removed. His phone was also found.”
Atsu, a midfielder, played for Chelsea for four years before moving permanently to Newcastle in 2017. In September, he signed with Hatayspor of the Turkish Super Lig.
You can also find our coverage of other tragic occurrences that have occurred recently if you are interested:
- Two Teens Are Accused of Killing Brianna Ghey, a Transgender TikTok Star.
- Police in Bulgaria Discover 18 Migrants Dead in a Parked Truck.
Search and rescue workers found Atsu’s body in Antakya, Hatay, where he was staying at Ronesans Residence, a high-rise luxury apartment building that fell.
In the wake of Christian Atsu’s death, many Twitter users expressed their condolences and opinions on the platform –
This is Christian Atsu’s goals from 2016 to 2023.
Man was very entertaining. RIP LEGEND. pic.twitter.com/VGuud6iKMJ
— Ghana Yesu (@ghanayesu) February 18, 2023
Christian Atsu’s agent has confirmed ‘Atsu has been found dead’ pic.twitter.com/jMBzzhiKQq
— Hrach Khachatryan (@hrachoff) February 18, 2023
BREAKING: Christian Atsu’s agent has confirmed ‘Atsu has been found dead’ pic.twitter.com/ASlLgRjxS3
— YabaLeftOnline (@yabaleftonline) February 18, 2023
This is heartbreaking, Christian Atsu has passed away according to some sources from Turkey. Reports are saying his body was found under the rubble. pic.twitter.com/zZAntMY6gV
— Frank Khalid OBE (@FrankKhalidUK) February 18, 2023
According to the state news agency Anadolu, Turkish police stopped the building’s contractor at the Istanbul airport last week as he seemed to be going to Montenegro.