According to the United States Customs and Border Protection, on Sunday a large group of people in Mexico attempted to mass enter the United States by approaching a border entry point in El Paso, Texas. This attempt caused disruptions along the border, and authorities erected barricades in response to the situation.
The group arranged themselves into a formation and then moved closer to the international boundary at El Paso. According to a statement released by CBP, this “poses a possible threat to make a mass entry.”
Officers from Customs and Border Protection “executed port hardening measures” at the Paso del Norte International Bridge on Sunday afternoon, according to a statement released by CBP. As a result, the bridge’s northbound lanes were temporarily closed.
As seen from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico on December 20, 2022, a group of migrants are seen waiting on the United States side of the River Grande as the Texas National Guard closed access to areas of the border with barbed wire and vehicles.
The agency said-
“CBP is working to maintain the legal and orderly flow of entry to the U.S. while protecting the safety and security of legitimate trade and travel, CBP facilities and the CBP workforce”
- Police in Bulgaria Discover 18 Migrants Dead in a Parked Truck
- Before Biden’s Border Visit, Migrants Fear Tougher Rules
The government agency stated that it had also utilized physical obstacles to impede access. Moreover, the CBP stated that traffic had been momentarily suspended at the bridge, but that it was reopened on Sunday evening.
According to the CBP, large groups of migrants delayed operations at two additional border crossings on Sunday. According to the agency, barricades were deployed for a period of less than an hour earlier in the day at both the neighboring Stanton border crossing as well as at the Bridge of the Americas crossing.
Mario D’Agostino, the deputy city manager of El Paso, told CNN that there were less people present at the bridge in the evening. “At this time EOC (Emergency Operations Center) has shut down. Crowds [have] subsided and it’s just being monitored,” D’Agostino said.
Despite the fact that big numbers were observed congregating on the Mexican side of the port of entry, D’Agostino stated that “no breach has happened.”
If you enjoyed reading this post, please share your feedback with us in the comments box below. In addition, don’t forget to check back on our website Journalist PR frequently for the most recent updates.